January 19, 2024, 17:25

Prevention guidance and first aid basics for carbon monoxide poisoning

The vast majority of CO exposure cases are not linked to fires. In particular, the most common source of poisoning is carbon monoxide buildup in a home caused by incorrectly installed or poorly maintained or ventilated appliances—like stoves, furnaces, etc. Since CO is an odorless gas, people can’t always detect its negative effects on the body on their own. Therefore, it’s important to understand what symptoms may be signs of CO leak and what is first aid treatment for such situations.

This, in particular, was discussed during a briefing at the Media Center Ukraine – Ukrinform. 

According to Serhii Huriev, Deputy Director of the Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Center of Emergency Medical Care and Disaster Medicine of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include weakness, headache, and shortness of breath. Uncharacteristic symptoms for a person staying in a wood burning furnace housing may indicate the effects of carbon monoxide exposure. In this case, you need to go outdoors, open doors and windows, and let fresh air into the room.

In addition, Anatolii Shkarbuta, Deputy Head of the Prevention Unit of the Fire Safety Office of the Emergencies Prevention Department of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, explained what measures should be taken to help people who are unable to counteract the effects occurring from inhaling carbon monoxide fumes.

Thus, he described that, first of all, a person exposed to carbon monoxide should be moved to fresh air, have clothes unbuttoned, and have a full breathing cycle regulated. The next thing is to attempt to wake an unconscious person, then call an ambulance and start providing first aid.

If there is slowed or stopped breathing or heart rate, certain CPR steps should be taken in accordance with the first aid procedure.

Read more: https://mediacenter.org.ua/news